The contribution of CR Cushing to containerization cannot be quantified, as the company was there at the beginning of this amazing transportation revolution. We have designed containerships, container manufacturing facilities, improving methods continuously. Our company is approved to issue container safety convention certifications (CSC). Additionally, we are involved in the development of innovative concepts for the container industry.
C. R. Cushing & Co. has been a member of the American Standards Committee continuously since 1960. This is the committee that developed the strength and dimensional standards for the ISO containers. C. R. Cushing has also been a U.S. delegate to the International Standards Organization TC104 meetings over the last 38 years.
The design of containership (See Cargo ships).
The disign of container terminals (See Ports and Terminals).
Our service includes the design of container lashing, securing systems and components. The analysis of container and container securing system failures, etc. Examples of our previous projects include:
- Design and structural analysis on numerous types of containers, including dry cargo, tank, refrigerated, open top, folding, etc.
- Prepared purchase specifications, negotiated and/or acted as owner representative and inspectors for the procurement of thousands of containers for such companies as Sea-Land, Seatrain, Delta Lines, U.S. Lines, Columbus Lines, Fabre Lines, Meri Shipping, Maersk Lines, and many others.
- Inspected, type approved, load tested and damage surveyed, thousands of containers over the last 32 years.
- Developed container cranes, container straddle carriers, container spreaders, container power boxes, container dehumidification and refrigeration systems, stores containers, containerized test labs, containerized gas turbine transport system, container securing and restraint systems.
- Designed container factories in Ireland, India and Yugoslavia, and analyzed/evaluated such facilities in the U.S., China, Japan and elsewhere.
- Designed containers in aluminum, stainless steel, flat and corrugated steel, filament wound plastic, honey combed sandwich panel, and other materials.
Distinctions within the Container Industry
- The first to apply finite element analysis techniques to the structural analysis of containers.
- Dr. C. R. Cushing has been a member of the American Standards Committee continuously since 1960. This is the committee that developed the strength and dimensional standards for the ISO containers.
- Dr. C. R. Cushing has been a U.S. delegate to the International Standards Organization TC104 meetings over the last 38 years.
- Dr. C. R. Cushing has been a member of the American Bureau of Shipping container committee since its inception 18 years ago.
- C. R. Cushing & Co. has been delegated authority by the Commandant (G-MSO), U.S. Coast Guard, to approve containers as complying with the International Safe Container Act in accordance with Title 49, U.S. Code of Federal Regulations, Part 450, since 8 Sept. 1981.
Finite Element Analysis of Container