SERVICES-ENVIRONMENT AND SAFETY
Environment and Safety
C. R. Cushing & Co. is committed to reducing the harmful effect the maritime industry has on the environment. Over the past forty years we have continually worked with groups such as the US Coast Guard, US Department of Transportation and the Environmental Protection Agency, performing studies and drafting guide lines to ensure a clean environment for the years to come. We have assisted ship owners, vessel operators, and port authorities by producing plans for safe working practices and procedures in addition to designing vessel safety features.
Environmental protection and marine safety are paramount in all projects taken on by C. R. Cushing & Co. Here is a list of the some of the projects completed by C. R. Cushing & Co.
- Preparation of the Tankerman's Manual for the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Preparation of oil spill response manuals.
- Studies on the collision resistance of tankers.
- Development of a oil pipeline inspection procedures for U.S. Coast Guard including identification of oil spill risk components.
- Investigation of maneuvering deficiency for a 225,000 DWT tanker.
- Preparation of a tanker operations manual for a U.S. owner and operator.
- Carried out a study of the technical, environmental, safety and operations aspects of an offshore platform in 130 feet of water to receive tank vessels up to 500,000 DWT.
- Studies on deep water port mooring (CALMS and SALMS) and crude oil transfer systems for the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- Development of an operating manual for a tanker company, including safety procedures, pollution control, regulatory requirements, spill containment and collection.
- Development of environmental criteria and guidelines to assess the environmental impact plan submitted as part of the oil purchase/transport contract for U.S. Department of Energy, Strategic Petroleum Office.
- Comparison of the damage stability characteristics of double hull and mid-deck/hydrostatically balanced concept tankers.
- Analysis for stability aspects of trunk deck double hull tankers.
- Design of trolley, wave maker and trolley towing winch system for the EPA's Oil and Hazardous Materials Test Tank facilities (OHMSETT) in New Jersey.
- Studied the operational intact stability difficulties of double hull tankers.
- Preparation of a prevention and control program for oil pollution in the San Francisco Bay area for the California Water Control Board.
- Performance of studies on existing ships to assess new IMO damage stability regulations for cargo ships.
- Conducted a container safety study for the U.S. Coast Guard, examining a variety of containers and rating their overall safety features, entitled "A Study of Intermodal Container Safety."
- Studied the reported on the relative resistance of FRP containers to sustain side and top panel damage and the suitability of FRP containers to carry hazardous materials.
- Conducted a dry cargo vessel subdivision study to International Maritime Organization safety regulations for the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Studied the problems related to tanker navigation in ice.
- Conducted a Roll on/Roll off vessel dry cargo subdivision safety study for the U.S. Department of Transportation/ Transportation Systems Center.
- Development of acoustic emission hose failure detection system for deepwater port including effects of environmental factors on system reliability and maintainability.
- Development of a computer simulation technique for risk evaluation to augment existing experimental simulation.
- Safety analysis for LNG terminal and marine facilities for the State of New Jersey.
- Performance of analysis of LNG cargo handling to assess problem of product spills.
- Measurement of airborne asbestos on vessels in port and at sea.
- Measurement of toxic gases and indoor air pollution on vessel.